"If a man writes a book, let him set down only what he knows. I have guesses enough of my own."
—Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) German writer, scientist, master of poetry, drama and novel
- Artificial sweetener 'is safe' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:03:14 GMT
- The artificial sweetener aspartame is safe and poses no threat to health, checks by European food regulators concludes.
- Could diabetes drug slow Alzheimer's? Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:23:54 GMT
- A trial has begun to see whether a drug used to treat diabetes can slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease.
- Double points plan absurd - Vettel Tue, 10 Dec 2013 16:33:09 GMT
- Formula 1 world champion Sebastian Vettel criticises plans to award double points for the season's final race from 2014.
- England to make changes for Perth Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:10:37 GMT
- Coach Andy Flower says England will make changes for the third Ashes Test as they seek to overturn a 2-0 deficit.
- Five Lenins in unexpected places Mon, 09 Dec 2013 14:15:06 GMT
- Kiev no longer has a monument Lenin, but there are plenty elsewhere - including some where you'd least expect to find them.
- How I learned to love the sari Mon, 09 Dec 2013 00:32:34 GMT
- There are a 108 ways of tying a sari, but Anu Anand had never learned one - until she went to sari school.
- Gunmen kill Kenyan police in ambush Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:16:40 GMT
- Gunmen kill eight Kenyans, including five policemen, after ambushing a police patrol near the border with Somalia, police say.
- Indian general's attackers jailed Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:18:30 GMT
- A Sikh gang convicted of slashing a retired Indian general's throat in a revenge attack for a military operation in India is jailed.
- Putin amnesty may free Greenpeace 30 Mon, 09 Dec 2013 18:46:03 GMT
- An amnesty drafted by Russia's President Putin could free the two jailed Pussy Riot protesters and the Greenpeace Arctic 30 campaigners.
- Deadly Argentina looting spreads Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:08:03 GMT
- Five people are killed in widespread looting in Argentina after police in 17 provinces go on strike to demand higher salaries to match rising inflation.
- Syria army holds Damascus-Homs road Mon, 09 Dec 2013 17:02:02 GMT
- Syrian government forces are reported to have taken control of the motorway linking Damascus with the city of Homs, as well as the nearby town of Nabak.
- US Senate votes to ban plastic guns Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:47:58 GMT
- The US Senate approves a 10-year extension of a ban on all-plastic guns but rejects tougher restrictions called for by gun-control advocates.
- Comic Relief to review investments Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:32:08 GMT
- Comic Relief will carry out a "full review" after claims millions of pounds were invested in funds with shares in tobacco, alcohol and arms firms.
- Briton admits terror charges in US Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:15:12 GMT
- A British man who spent years fighting extradition to the United States has pleaded guilty to terrorism charges.
- Liver specialist suspended from duty Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:48:28 GMT
- Health chiefs suspend a specialist liver surgeon linked to the "avoidable deaths" of eight patients he operated on in Cardiff.