"A best seller was a book which somehow sold well simply because it was selling well."
—Daniel J (oseph) Boorstin (b. 1914) American Gov't Official, Librarian of Congress
- Crowds celebrate Mandela's life Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:35:53 GMT
- Across South Africa, people are continuing to celebrate the life of the country's first black president, Nelson Mandela, who has died aged 95.
- WTO agrees global trade agreement Sat, 07 Dec 2013 04:14:16 GMT
- The World Trade Organization agrees a historic global deal aimed at boosting commerce, which could add nearly $1tn to the global economy.
- US citizen released by North Korea Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:33:24 GMT
- US citizen Merrill Newman arrives in the Chinese capital, Beijing, after being deported from North Korea following more than a month in detention there.
- 'Hundreds dead' in CAR violence Fri, 06 Dec 2013 22:54:53 GMT
- At least 300 people have been killed in two days of violence in the Central African Republic capital, Bangui, the Red Cross says.
- Syria jihadists 'use Turkey bases' Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:53:51 GMT
- Foreign jihadist fighters, including Britons, are using safe houses in southern Turkey to go to Syria to fight against government forces, the BBC has learnt.
- Arrests over Mexico radiation truck Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:40 GMT
- Six men are detained in central Mexico over the robbery earlier this week of a truck containing radioactive material from a hospital.
- Deadly storm lashes northern Europe Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:15:37 GMT
- Hurricane-force winds and tidal surges kill at least seven people in northern Europe, flood parts of Hamburg and leave thousands without power.
- Russia and Ukraine seek partnership Fri, 06 Dec 2013 16:33:12 GMT
- The Ukrainian and Russian presidents hold surprise talks on a "strategic partnership treaty" a week after Ukraine shelved a key deal with the EU.
- Russia investigates crash jet pilot Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:56:10 GMT
- Investigators in Russia examine whether the pilot of an airliner which crashed near Kazan with no survivors had a valid pilot's licence.
- Jazz pianist Stan Tracey dies at 86 Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:06:46 GMT
- British pianist Stan Tracey, one of the greats of the jazz world, dies at the age of 86.
- Dylan's guitar sells for $965k Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:42:14 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival sells at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).
- Elton John 'sad' over Russia gay law Sat, 07 Dec 2013 00:36:14 GMT
- British singer Elton John urges Russia to end discrimination against gays and lesbians as he performs at a concert in Moscow.
- VIDEO: Russia and Ukraine surprise talks Sat, 07 Dec 2013 03:01:58 GMT
- Ukraine's President holds unscheduled talks with his Russian counterpart on a strategic partnership treaty.
- VIDEO: Six held over nuclear truck theft Sat, 07 Dec 2013 05:42:27 GMT
- Mexican authorities have detained six men suspected of stealing a truck carrying medical equipment, including a radioactive element.
- VIDEO: Dylan guitar sells for nearly $1m Fri, 06 Dec 2013 23:23:49 GMT
- The electric guitar played by Bob Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival has been sold at auction in New York for a record $965,000 (£591,000).